The Hague is the second UN city in the world and is known as the city of peace and justice. The motion from the Haagse Stadspartij, which calls on the The Hague City Council to condemn the violence in Gaza, the remaining occupied Palestinian territories and Israel, and calls for an end to hostilities and an immediate ceasefire, was adopted last night.”
This call for peace was co-signed by Groenlinks, DENK, SP, PvdA, PvdD, & D66. The council also aligns itself with international calls to initiate a sustainable peace process.
The motivation for the motion is the alarming humanitarian crisis in Gaza, where more than 18.000 lives, including nearly 8.000 children have been lost, also 64 journalists have been killed. International organizations describe the situation as catastrophic. Antonio Guterres, Secretary-General of the United Nations, initiated an Article 99 procedure on December 7 due to the serious risk of a collapse of the humanitarian system in Gaza.
Fatima Faïd, leader of the Haagse Stadspartij, emphasizes the importance of the motion: “The situation is deteriorating towards a catastrophe with potentially irreversible consequences for the Palestinian people, the peace and security in the region. It is important that a city like The Hague calls for an immediate end to hostilities.”
Motion ( Translated from Dutch )
Motion: City of Peace and Justice Expresses
Submitter: Fatima Faïd, Haagse Stadspartij
The council of the municipality of The Hague, assembled in a meeting on December 20, 2023, to discuss the Proposal of the College regarding the Program Budget 2024-2027 (RIS316918),
- the war in Gaza has claimed more than 18,000 lives, including nearly 8,000 children;
- more than 64 journalists have lost their lives;
- the humanitarian situation in Gaza is described as catastrophic by several international organizations;
- the Secretary-General of the United Nations, Antonio Guterres, initiated an Article 99 procedure on December 7 “because there is a serious risk that the humanitarian system in Gaza is collapsing”;
- the situation is deteriorating towards a catastrophe with potentially irreversible consequences for the Palestinians and the peace and security in the region.
- The Hague is the international city of Peace and Justice;
- The Hague is the second UN city in the world;
- Article 90 of the Dutch constitution states that the government actively strives to promote the international legal order;
- A robust international legal order is necessary for a just, peaceful, and prosperous world.
the municipal council of The Hague, the international city of peace and justice, condemns the violence in Gaza, the remaining occupied Palestinian territories, and Israel and calls for an end to hostilities and an immediate ceasefire;
and aligns itself with the international calls for the initiation of a sustainable peace process.
And proceeds to the order of the day.
Fatima Faïd Hera Butt Adeel Mahmood Lesley Arp
Haagse Stadspartij GroenLinks DENK SP
Janneke Holman Robin Smit Andrew van Esch
PvdA PvdD D66
Read the Dutch Article here: https://haagsestadspartij.nl/haagse-gemeenteraad-veroordeelt-geweld-gaza/